History of Horeb Chapel
At a Quarterly Meeting held at Aberffraw on 7th July, 1903, it was decided that the time was ripe to erect a Chapel at Rhosneigr. Several factors influenced their final decision. For one thing, Rhosneigr was a growing village, which already attracted visitors in large numbers, the local population was also increasing rapidly, and though there was already three Chapels in the village, they firmly believed that the Wesleyans would find faithful followers, when and if the Chapel was built.
In due course it was proved that their faith in the undertaking was justified for the flock gathered to the fold from far and wide.
To get on with this new venture a special Committee was formed which met at Rhosneigr on 21st July, 1903. No time had been wasted. They finally decided on purchasing a site from Mr. Roderick, the price of the land in those days being equivalent to 25 new pence per square yard. The original proposal was for a Chapel with a seating capacity of 250 but due to the probable heavy expense that would have to be met on a Chapel with such a provision it was finally decided on a Chapel with a seating capacity of 200.
Mr. W. Lloyd Jones of Bangor was nominated as Architect and to prepare the plans etc., and the Contractors were Messrs. Jones and Williams, Bangor. The Contract figure was £830.
Today looking at the front of the Chapel you will notice the three memorial stones built in to the main structure. These were unveiled at a special service held on 12th July, 1904. They bear the inscription "J. O. Williams, Gwylfa, Llangefni, Richard Pritchard, Cogwrn and Miss. Pritchard, Cogwrn, all faithful Wesleyans."
The unveiling took the form of a religious service conducted by the Reverend Garrett Roberts who became the first Minister of the new Chapel. Following the service there was tea for all present. The first service inside the Chapel being the actual opening ceremony took place on Sunday and Monday, 7th and 8th August, 1904 when sermons were delivered by Guest preachers, some being the leading preachers of the day. When the Chapel was first opened it had 30 members. It was given the Biblical name of "Horeb". The first Minister was the Reverend Garrett Roberts and the first deacons were Mr. William Owen, Glan y Mor, Mr. O. T. Owen, Marine Terrace and Mr. Richard Jones, Ty Llwyd.
The Reverend Garrett Roberts has been followed by eleven others, the present Minister being the Reverend Iwan G. P. Lewis, B.A., B.D.
It is sad to relate that in common with most Chapels and Churches there are empty seats today. Who knows that the spirit of 1904 which once filled the Chapel to its capacity during the opening ceremony, may yet be just around the corner.
By A. G. Owen.
Taken from ‘Anglesey Insight’, 11th June 1981